Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Best Releases of 2011

Yesterday, Strange Horizons put up their Year in Review postwith my own paragraph-long thoughts among those offered. Head on over and take a look. Once you're done, though, keep reading, because the discussion's not yet over. See, at the time of writing the Strange Horizons piece, my computer was down and seemingly dead (thankfully, it recovered soon after). As a result, I didn't have access to my list of books read and so, rather unsurprisingly, forgot the dates of a few notable releases, most importantly Daniel Kraus' Rotters, a YA horror novel about grave robbing that one me over in short order due to the fantastic descriptions of that so-sordid crime and the depiction of the novel's main character. And then there are all the series books, few of which I mentioned. Both White Luck Warrior and The Crippled  God were quite good. The latter maybe even excellent, even if it wasn't my personal favorite Malazan volume. Both, though, lost their places on the list because they were too tied up with the preceding (and, in the case of the former, to come) novels for me to really judge them on their own merits. Finally, there's certainly the matter of Historical Lovecraft, the anthology that came out midway through the year bearing my very first published story.

My post with overall best reads for the year will come out next week. 

For those interested, the full list of newly released books I read is as follows:

  1. Joe Abercrombie – The Heroes
  2. Daniel Abraham – The Dragon's Path
  3. R. Scott Bakker – The White Luck Warrior
  4. James S. A. Corey – Leviathan Wakes
  5. Steven Erikson – The Crippled God
  6. Daniel Kraus – Rotters
  7. Mark Lawrence – Prince of Thorns
  8. George R.R. Martin – A Dance with Dragons
  9. Robert McCammon – The Hunter from the Woods
  10. Haruki Murakami – 1Q84
  11. Adam Nevill – The Ritual
  12. K.J. Parker – The Hammer
  13. Patrick Rothfuss – The Wise Man's Fear
  14. Brandon Sanderson – The Alloy of Law
  15. Sam Sykes – Black Halo
  16. Catherynne M. Valente – Deathless
  17. Historical Lovecraft

No comments:

Post a Comment